Crossing the border

Since 2004, Poland has been a member of the European Union and has signed the Schengen Agreement in 2007. This has resulted in the end of passport control at internal borders in the EU for people travelling by car. EU citizens travelling by plane or boat must have a passport (valid for at least 6 months) or an ID card. Non-EU citizens must have a passport and sometimes also a visa. More information HERE.

Time Zones

Poland lies in the Central European Time zone GMT + 01:00. From March to October, daylight saving time is GMT + 02:00. They use a 24-hour clock.

Electrical Plug/outlet and Voltage Information

The voltage in the Polish electrical network is 230V/50Hz. All devices designed to operate at a voltage of 220 - 240V should work without a problem. You will need to have a continental plug.


Poland is preparing to adopt the Euro, but they still currently use the Polish Zloty. You can easily find an ATM and withdraw money from all popular cards in the big cities there. The same applies for paying by card. When visiting smaller towns it is worth having cash. It is best to exchange money in banks or at a currency exchange office.

Exchange rates GBP/PLN.

Exchange rates EUR/PLN.

Exchange rates USD/PLN.


The fee for the waiter or waitress' service is usually not included in the bill. If you want, you can leave a tip on the table (approx. 10% of the bill) or round up the your payments and leave the change for the waiter.

Foreign Languages

It is becoming increasingly easier to communicates with Poles in other language, especially in English (also German and Russian). If you want to ask someone something, ask a younger person - they are more acquainted with other languages.

Photographing and Filming

You cannot take photographs or film at airports and working military bases, vehicles or officers. Besides that, we strongly e ncourage taking lots of photographs of anything you want - you might not visit the same areas again. Do not forget your camera and a spacious memory card.

Health and Insurance

You do not need any additional injections before going to Poland. There hasn't been an epidemic in Poland ( a part of COVID-19 ) for many decades. There are no volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis or terrorists. To receive medical care in Poland, it would be worth getting a European Health Insurance Card - More and how to apply for an EHIC. The card is not an alternative to travel insurance.


We recommend using well known taxi companies and ordering a taxi by telephone. Never get into an unmarked car at the airport, railway station or night club. Always ask for a receipt when paying for the taxi. In company taxis you can usually pay by card.


Tobacco is sold to people who are eighteen years of age. You may be asked to show your ID card. Smoking is not allowed at places such as airports, railway stations, museums, metro etc. Some large restaurants have an area designated for smoking customers.


Alcohol is sold only to people who are eighteen years of age. You may be asked to show your ID card. Polish vodka is known and praised all over the world. Poland is the fourth largest producer of vodka and the largest producer in the EU. 16 bottles of Polish vodka are sold every second. Polish beer is not as known as the vodka nonetheless, it is very good. We encourage adults to try this out for themselves.


There is no social norm in Poland that differs from that which is known in Western Europe.